Friday, December 25, 2020

2020 Visions Are Enough to Leave One Blindsided

After four years of ass-kicking, 2019 somehow finally served the impression things were improving. But that was a delusion brought on by all the buffeting because 2020 happened. And in a most bizarre circumstance, as everyone's personal lives became more fraught, mine became...different. 


Last year my milestone was reaching 50. This year it was losing a parent. A parent that, well, spent more time being an impediment to my aspirations rather than a supporter. Anna Rita Storelli survived WWII trauma, and fancied tennis and languages. Maybe that explains all the years of clashes we had. There was always love between us, but not a lot of fun. She was publicly likeable, privately difficult. And I’m my mother’s son. 


Now, in her passing, I possess multiple forms of independence I've not known for years. I do wish it had not been this kind of transition that brought about mine own. I wish a lot of things were different, for everyone I love; it's aching to see so many of them also coping with personal sorrow independent of the world's crisies. But for me, I got all cried out about this specific corner of my life a long time ago. In my altered trajectory, I'm in a better position to help make positive differences for other people, so that's the mission now.


I'm tired of 2020. Let's just address the good movies, okay? The Top 13 of 2020:


13. LOVE AND MONSTERS


12. THE HALF OF IT

11. i'm thinking of ending things

10. THE INVISIBLE MAN

9. COLOR OUT OF SPACE

8. POSSESSOR

7. DRIVEWAYS

6. THE VAST OF NIGHT

5. I'M YOUR WOMAN

4. FIRST COW

3. NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS

2. YELLOW ROSE

1. THE SMALL AXE QUINTET:
MANGROVE / LOVERS ROCK / RED, WHITE, AND BLUE /
ALEX WHEATLE / EDUCATION


"I just like to stay busy, and I like to work with interesting people."


 - Adam Schlesinger, October 31, 1967 – April 1, 2020

So, as you and I enter into what is going to be a very different New Year, just...keep on doing That Thing You Do.

No comments:

Post a Comment